Post 16 Learning

Due to the RPA (raising the participation age) legislation, you will have to do some sort of learning when you leave school. You may choose to:

  • Stay in Education – go to a College or Sixth Form and study full time courses
  • Do an Apprenticeship or other accredited training course
  • Get a job and take a work related course alongside it such as an OCR National, BTEC, City and Guilds or other accredited course
  • Be self employed but you will also need to do some accredited learning or training course
  • Volunteer for 20 hours or more but will need to do some accredited learning alongside it, offered by the organisation or independent of it
  • If you have an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan), then you should talk to your Careers Adviser, Teacher or Home Local Authority about their ‘Local Offer’.

LevelEntry Requirements*Academic QualificationsVocational QualificationsWork Based Qualifications
EntryInterview and reference requiredEntry level qualifications
Certificate in Life Skills
Supported Internship
Level 1Min. two GCSEs grade 2 or aboveGCSE 3 – 1BTEC
City & Guilds Foundation
Level 2Min. five GCSEs at grade 3 or above including English or mathsGCSE 4 or aboveBTEC
Intermediate Apprenticeship
Level 3Min. five GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English and mathsA LevelsA Levels
BTEC National Certificate
BTEC Extended Diploma
T Levels
Advanced Apprenticeship

*Published as a guide – entry requirements vary by subject and qualification type